BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Four Quick Ways to Soften Butter

So the temperature of butter can be pretty important when it comes to baking. It plays a large role in the consistency of the final product. More than once have I messed up cookies by melting the butter when the recipe called for softened. And knowing me, I always forget to set out the butter ahead of time. You can always set them in the microwave for a few seconds but I hate how it turns out cold on the outside and melted on the inside. So here are three tips to avoid making the same mistake.



1- Cut the butter into chunks- Smaller chunks of butter will heat up quicker than one large piece, especially if placed near a heated area.
2- Pound the butter- Put the butter in a zip-lock back and use a rolling pin or a meat pounder to soften the butter, trust me this is way more fun than it sounds. Then let it get to room temp on the counter
3-  Set the butter over warm water- Ya this always works, the butter just heats right up. But keep a careful eye to prevent the butter from melting
4- Use a Cheese Grater- Its great for beating the butter ahead of time as well.

2 comments:

  1. These are great tips! I'll remember this for the next time I bake (wish I'd known earlier as I made some cookies)

    ReplyDelete
  2. if only I knew this all the other times I unsuccessfully tried to quickly melt butter....:)

    ReplyDelete